Claude Rogers (1907 – 1979)

Claude Rogers trained at the Slade from 1925-1929 and in 1937 was a founding member of the Euston Road School along with Coldstream and Pasmore. After serving in the war, Rogers taught at the Camberwell School of Art until the early 1950s, when he moved to the Slade. He later became Professor of Fine Art at the University of Reading. From 1956 he spent long periods in Somerton in Suffolk, painting landscapes in the area. His work is held in the collections of the Tate, the National Portrait Gallery, the Arts Council Collection and others. A major retrospective of Roger’s work was held at the Whitechapel Art Gallery in 1973.

Click on images to enlarge

Claude Rogers (1907 – 1979)
‘Suffolk Landscape’
Oil on canvas
Signed and dated 1959
Canvas measures 68x89 cms and framed 74x101 cms.
Provenance: from the collection of Professor and Mrs Daniel Waley who bought it in the early 1960s.
£4300